In the project „TransAqua“ a number of individual studies are provided to investigate open questions of radioecological research related to water resources. Competence in radiation research will be strengthened by the education and promotion of young scientists. To cover all aspects of radiation research the project is thematically divided into five subprojects that deal with different compartments of aquatic ecosystems:
1. Surface water: Input and transport of radionuclides in surface waters
2. Ground - and drinking water: Release and detection of radionuclides in ground - and drinking waters
3. Biokinetic models: Biokinetic metabolism models of men and its validation
4. Contaminated waters: Behaviour of radionuclide migration in mining and urban sewage waters
5. Education and promotion of young scientists: Organisation of workshops, conference participations, research visits, (laboratory) exchange projects and a summer school
They all aim to improve dose assessments related to radiation exposure of humans concerning aquatic ecosystems. In the subprojects totally 16 working packages were established by nine research centres and universities for the studies. All in all 13 young scientists (Postdocs), nine PhD students and a number of master students will be introduced in this type of research.